What are the Qualifications for Migrating to Canada from the United States?

Canada’s healthcare, economic framework, multi-cultural society, and the notion that it is one of the few nations to effectively flatten the curve of coronavirus infections have made it one of the most desired nations for migration in 2022.

With superb amenities and a welcoming immigration system, it’s no surprise that Canada has eclipsed even the United States as one of the most popular destinations for international migrants.

Continue reading to learn how to immigrate to Canada from the United States.

For people looking for immigration services to Canada from the United States, Canada offers a variety of permanent residency opportunities. Express Entry is a mechanism for choosing applicants for various popular economic programs (not including family reunification or refugee programs).

Express Entry

Applicants must first become eligible for one of the federal economic immigration systems such as the “Federal Skilled Worker Program,” “Federal Skilled Trades Program, or Canadian Experience Class.”

Each program has its own set of requirements, and the Express Entry system can work with you to determine which ones you qualify for.

Candidates planning to immigrate to Canada from the United States can begin by submitting an Application Form to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the federal department responsible for processing applications. The candidates are evaluated to determine whether they are eligible for at least a few of these programs.

Applicants must supply the following information:

  • On their job experience in other countries
  • Workplace history in Canada (if any)
  • Degree of education
  • They should be able to communicate in either English or French and a few other qualities.

Candidates must have at least a year of Canadian job experience in a specific career as one of the primary qualifying criteria. A year of continual skilled job experience, a Canadian Language Standard (CLB) 7 in English or French, and an educational certificate are required for the FSWP.

You must also score 67 out of 100 on the FSWP points matrix, different from Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). They’ll be given a score out of 1,200 points as part of the “Comprehensive Ranking System.”

The FSTP is for professionals who have worked full-time in an approved occupation for at least two years. They must also have a legitimate work offer in Canada for at least one year and a certificate of competence in a skilled profession granted by a Canadian provincial, local, or federal body, among other requirements.

Provincial Nominee Program

Canada’s provinces also have a say in who is permitted to enter the nation. Express Entry streamlines a component of these “Provincial Nominee Programs” (PNPs), while several PNP streams exist entirely outside of the Express Entry system.

If a Canadian province agrees to nominate you through the Provincial Nominee Program, you can get 600 points straight away. IRCC selects the top-ranking applicants twice a month and invites them to finish their applications. In other words, everybody who achieves a score higher than the minimum cut-off will be asked to apply.

To make an application for a base PNP, you must first appeal to the province, and if you are qualified, you will be nominated. After getting your certificate, you can then apply to the federal government for permanent residency.

Family Sponsorship 

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada can sponsor their spouse, legal partner, children, parents, and grandparents. Canadians can only sponsor particular relatives, such as siblings, aunts, or uncles. They cannot support relatives deemed ineligible due to criminal or medical reasons.

The spouses and legal partners are sponsored from Canada or outside the nation. To be eligible:

  • You must be over 18 years old and in a committed, solid relationship with a Canadian who could help finance you and any children you may have. Citizens of Canada can sponsor from overseas, but legal residents must be present in Canada. 
  • If you both wish to wait out the procedure in Canada, you might be able to secure a spousal Open Work Permit as the spouse visa or common-law partner.

The “Parents and Grandparents Program” allows Canadian parents and grandparents to apply for permanent status (PGP). The program works like a lottery, with a brief intake window when IRCC takes a desire to sponsor forms. Candidates are then invited to apply for permanent residency by the immigration service. The Super Visa, an alternative to the PGP, lets parents and grandparents live in Canada for up to 2 years at a time.

Canadians under 22 can also sponsor their genetic or adoptive children.

Total Law Immigration Lawyers is a law practice that focuses on worldwide immigration law in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and Ireland. For instant advice and support, or more information on our services, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Leave a Comment