Safety warning after exploding e-cigarette batteries leave two WA men with serious burns


Safety authorities are warning about the dangers of lithium-ion batteries inside e-cigarettes after two WA were seriously injured.

Both men suffered shocking leg burns about their e-cigarettes exploded and caught fire.

The WA Director of Energy Safety has released a report detailing the two incidents which left one man needing skin grafts after his device’s battery caught fire in his pocket.

The Scarborough man, named Steve, was working at Ascot Racecourse when he felt a “searing pain and heat” on his thigh.

He had placed coins in his pants pocket along with a loose lithium-ion battery for his vape.

The man needed skin grafts and was in hospital for a week.

Another man, a mine worker, suffered serious thermal and chemical burns when his vape battery combusted while he was driving.

Burns suffered by a WA man after lithium-ion batteries for his e-cigarette exploded. Credit: Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

According to the report, the effect was “not unlike fireworks going off and flying around the inside of the vehicle.”

Safety experts recommend that vape users make sure their batteries show no signs of damage and do not place them in direct sunlight or on hot surfaces.

Vapers are also advised not to overcharge their batteries and use a protective device, such as a case, to transport the battery.

It’s also recommended that consumers are cautious about purchasing lithium-ion batteries from overseas online sites.

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Verve Times is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment