Nifty today: SGX Nifty down 10 points; here’s what changed for market while you were sleeping
Here’s breaking down the pre-market actions:
STATE OF THE MARKETS
SGX Nifty signals a muted start
Nifty futures on the Singapore Exchange traded 9.5 points, or 0.05 per cent, lower at 17,510.50, signaling that Dalal Street was headed for a muted start on Friday.
- Tech View: The Nifty 50 is trading near strong resistance levels, and needs to breach them and move higher. The upside momentum will pick up if the Nifty crosses the immediate resistance of 17608 points.
- India VIX: The improving sentiment has further cooled off volatility in the market. The index on Thursday ended 1.5% down at 17.2325 points.
Asian equities retreat
Stocks in Asia dropped following after another down day for US equities, with Treasury yields at the highest level since the global financial crisis.
- Nasdaq 100 futures were down 0.9%. The Nasdaq 100 fell 0.5%
- Japan’s Topix index dropped 0.5%
- South Korea’s Kospi index slipped 0.1%
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 Index declined 0.9%
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng futures added 0.6%
Wall Street ends lower on Fed worries
U.S. stocks closed lower on Thursday as data on the labor market and comments from a U.S. Federal Reserve official reinforced expectations the central bank will be aggressive in hiking interest rates outweighed a flurry of solid corporate earnings.
- Dow down 0.3%
- S&P 500 slips 0.80%
- Nasdaq dips 0.61%
For the first time after several days, foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) turned net buyers of domestic shares. They net bought shares worth Rs. 1,865 crores, provisional data available with NSE suggested. DIIs on the other hand, turned net sellers of stocks to the tune of Rs. 887 crores.
Stocks in F&O ban today
5 stocks are in ban. Bharat Heavy Electricals,
, , , and remain under the F&O ban for Friday, October 21. Securities in the ban period under the F&O segment include companies in which the security has crossed 95 per cent of the market-wide position limit.
Rupee: After breaching the psychologically-crucial level of 83 on Wednesday, the rupee rebounded and ended at 82.7600 against the dollar.
102 companies are scheduled to report earnings for the quarter ended September.
, Co, , , and Reliance Industries are among the major ones.
(Disclaimer: Recommendations, suggestions, views and opinions given by the experts are their own. These do not represent the views of Economic Times)